Thursday, August 4, 2011

Violence Against Women

Domestic violence, also known as domestic abusespousal abusefamily violence, and intimate partner violence (IPV), has been broadly defined as a pattern of abusive behaviors by one or both partners in an intimate relationship such as marriage, dating, family, friends or cohabitation. Domestic violence, so defined, has many forms, including physical aggression (hitting, kicking, biting, shoving, restraining, slapping, throwing objects), or threats thereof;sexual abuseemotional abuse; controlling or domineering; intimidationstalking; passive/covert abuse (e.g., neglect); and economic deprivation. Alcohol consumption and mental illness can be co-morbid with abuse, and present additional challenges when present alongside patterns of abuse.
(Taken From Wikipedia)


According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, women experience about 4.8 million intimate partner-related physical assaults and rapes every year. Less than 20 percent of battered women sought medical treatment following an injury.
In 2005, 1,181 women were murdered by an intimate partner. That's an average of three women every day. Of all the women murdered in the U.S., about one-third were killed by an intimate partner.
(Bureau of Justice Statistics)


Violence against women is a very real subject and it can happen to anyone. Not just physically but emotionally, verbally, sexually and even economically. In 2003, thirty six U.S. cities declared domestic violence as one of the number one causes of homelessness. Also, one out of every three homeless women is due to a women leaving a domestic violence relationship. 
So many negative outcomes from domestic violence against women. So why do we continue to put up with it. We consider ourselves to be strong and independent, however when it comes down to it, we hide the truth from ourselves, only making the matter worse. 
It is time, time to stop the abuse and FIGHT BACK!!!!!!!
We deserve better as women, but the only way to stop the violence to stand up and fight back. To be strong and let it be known our own stories. 
I have been one of those women, for four years I was mentally, physically, emotionally, sexually and economically abused by a man who knew how to prey on my very soul. Several times I tried to leave, but being on my own and living very far away from my family, I had no support system. I started to believe there was no way out for me. In four years I ended up in a hospital 6 times. I started feeling the need to lie to everyone around me about what was really going on, I didn't want to be judged let alone become another statistic. Although I had already become a statistic, I never wanted to admit defeat. I recall one time trying to leave and having him throw me through a glass door. Eventually four years later after the birth of two kids, and the death of one of those two kids, before I was finally able to leave. 
So here I am to call all women of all ages, races and backgrounds, it's time to fight back!!! To join hands and support one another. Time to take back control of our lives. It's time to empower. 


          M.Powerment by mark. A cause dedicated to ending the cycle of abuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment